Web Conferencing: I cannot launch my Web Conferencing session and recordings on Mac OS X 10.8.4
Mac OS X 10.8.4
Recent security changes released by Apple may prevent web conferencing customers from launching Blackboard Collaborate sessions and recordings. Customers using Mac OS X 10.8.4 will be affected. The security changes no longer allow users to auto-launch JNLP files. The following message will appear when trying to launch a session:
Note: Clicking the OK button will NOT launch the session
This issue can be resolved by using one of the following workaround methods:
To launch a Web Conferencing session or recording follow the steps below:
- Locate the downloaded JNLP
- Control-click (or right-click) the file and then select Open from the context menu. You will see the Open meeting.jnlp confirmation message (Refer to image 1).
- Image 1: Open meeting.jnlp confirmation message
- Click the Open button at the bottom of the dialogue box to launch your Web Conferencing session (Refer to image 1).
Note: Repeat workaround 1 every time you wish to launch a Web Conferencing session or a recording.
- Go to your Apple Menu at the top left corner of your computer screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Security & Privacy (Refer to image 2).
- Image 2: Security & Privacy window
- If necessary, click the lock icon at the bottom left of the Security & Privacy window to make the needed changes (Refer to image 2).
- Under the Allow applications downloaded from: area, select the Anywhere option at bottom of the Security & Privacy window (Refer to image 3).
- Image 3: Choose Anywhere confirmation message
- Click the Allow from Anywhere button to confirm (Refer to image 3).
- You should now see the Open confirmation message shown in image 4 below:
- Image 4: Open confirmation message
- Click the Open button to allow your Web Conferencing session or recording to launch successfully.
Workaround 3: We support mobile devices too!
Role: Participant Only
Join the Blackboard Collaborate session on your iOS mobile device (iphone/ipad) or Android phone or tablet. Please refer to knowledge base article 2474 to learn how.
For further information regarding this Apple Security Update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5784
Link to this article: http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8336&task=knowledge&questionID=2940